TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE® Series Official Blog

Sea stories, scuttlebutt and fantastic photos covering America\’s official Tall Ships® Races!

  • Follow Us

  • Follow the blog- Click below to have posts delivered to your inbox

  • Recent Posts

  • Search posts by category

  • Archives

  • Advertisements

Week Two on the Providence

Posted by astaheather on August 13, 2007

On Monday Matt and I were busy in the office and the Providence crew had their hands full with the new cadets for the second week of sail training.  Later I found out how eager they were to have the two of us return to help onboard, apparently the crew appreciated our help with the new students.

On the second day, Tuesday, Matt and I drove down to Fort Adams and we took the students sailing. Just like last time, the deckwash was the favorite activity. It was really nice to see a group of the students from the previous week, they acted like teachers towards the new kids. Unfortunately there wasn’t incredible wind until the end of the day, so the students didn’t get as much hands on activity  with the lines and sails as they should have gotten.

Wednesday the weather was wet….very wet. I was very happy I hadn’t forgotten my foul weather gear on Picton Castle. All the students still showed up however, no rain was going to scare these kids. We weren’t able to sail  because of the anticipated high winds, which did eventually arrive. As an alternate activity myself, Matt and the professional crew went with the students to the Yachting Museum at Fort Adams. The students like the hands on part at the beginning of the museum but lost interest as they delved into the rest of the museum. I don’t really blame them, I am a big fan of hands on museums…I like to touch stuff. Later we took the bus down to the Save the Bay aquarium which I never even knew existed. The students and I  learned that if you hum to periwinkles they come out of their shells….huh, who woulda thunk it? The kids loved the touch tunk and I was surprised that some of the students were afraid to pick up the animals including the star fish. I was also amazed that the students took it upon themselves to do the activity where they search for clues around the museum and answer marine biology questions. Later we walked down to the beach with some of the students so they could play in the water. After that we ate lunch and took a tour of the International Yacht Restoration School. I really enjoyed that and the kids were interested as well. I had checked out the school once or twice before but this time we were able to see the classrooms and go a little bit behind the scenes. We were even able to go and look/learn about Coronet. Usually visitors peak into the building through windows and read the information plaque but we we able to go up to the ship to look inside the hull and walk all around the yard. The kids really liked being able to do that. Tall Ship celebrity advantages yet again.

Thursday we on the move. There was an Opti regatta taking place that day so we headed towards the water in hopes of avoiding the little bath toys, which is what they look like compared to the Providence. The wind was a bit more stiff than the previous days but we still motor sailed. Later that night some cadets, along with Matt and myself, stayed over night. After we made it to our anchorage, we ate dinner and I taught some of the students about heaving lines and they were able to take turns throwing them. Also, they were allowed to jump overboard and swim, but only one student and the pro crew took advantage. The students learned what the pro crew does at night; sing Barret’s Last Privateer, read, and go to bed. Each stood at anchor watch with a member of the crew. The student I had watch with really liked seeing the engine room, which I later heard every student liked. The engine room was a secret spot of the ship none of the other students were able to see; it was an entire new world and depth to the ship. Not to mention it was warm when on deck was freezing. 

After a little morning workout on the windlass, we made it back to the dock and got the awning up just before the downpour which  put a damper on our day. The students were bummed we could not sail but it was risky because we weren’t sure about thunderstorms and such. But many of the students from this group are already planning on working on tall ships next summer, so the weather wasn’t too frightening as to keep them away from sailing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: