Barque Picton Castle Apprenticeship Program 2014-2015
Posted by Tall Ships America on April 15, 2014
Barque PICTON CASTLE Sailing Ship Crew Professional Development
Apprenticeship 2014-2015 * Sailing Around the World
The Barque PICTON CASTLE, the world voyaging sail training ship, is offering a rare sea training opportunity for young aspiring seafarers intending to sail professionally.
This is a chance to sail before the mast and learn all that one can as serving as crew in a proven square rigged sailing ship, a faithful recreation of age of sail deep-water commercial sailing ships from the time when they reached their highest development.
• Build up ocean square-rig sea-time
• Add tonnage to your sea-service record
• Make rare, long blue water, deep sea passages under sail
• Enrich skill sets in ship rigging, sailmaking, navigation, ship-handling, tacking & wearing, bracing, anchor handling, extensive small boat handling, engine room skills, damage control and more
• Sail the South Pacific Ocean, the Torres Strait, the Indian Ocean, around the Cape of Good Hope, the South Atlantic, the coast of Africa, transatlantic, the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic
This is open to mariners who have their STCW Basic Safety Training and a minimum of three months sea time; or have graduated from a recognized marine training institute; or have a minimum of six (6) months sea time in recognized sail training ships or sailing ships.
For more information about the voyage and how to become a part of the adventure, click here for the announcement.